Veggie Lasagna (wheat free, dairy free, gluten free) . My meat and cheese-loving family has actually requested this veggie lasagna from time to time. It’s fabulous, and it’s easy! You can make it wheat and gluten free by exchanging traditional lasagna noodles for thinly-sliced eggplant instead, like I did here, or you can use try gluten free noodles or opt for a more traditional lasagna by using traditional noodles. No eggplant on hand? Use sliced zuchinni.
- 1 large onion,chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 8 large mushrooms,sliced
- 1/2 head of broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped (or you can use one full head broccoli)
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 or 3 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes, baked (I cook them in the microwave)
- 2 large eggplant, sliced thinly
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (If you don’t have the individual spices, use 3 teaspoons of Italian Seasoning)
- 2 or 3 large jars of marinara sauce
- one 8 oz bag dairy-free cheese (I used Daiya) (OR use a layer of chopped raw cashews instead. It’s fabulous!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash all vegetables. Chop the onion, slice the mushrooms, and chop the garlic. Saute the onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Add chopped broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers, and corn. Cook down for about 7-8 minutes.
- Drain the tofu very well then chop/crumble it into small pieces. Mix tofu into vegetable mixture. Then add the spices. Don’t forget the cayenne.
- Slice the eggplant very thinly. Coat the bottom of the pan in marinara sauce then add a layer of sliced eggplant then coat with more sauce. Drain off any fluids from the vegetable mixture. (Get as much out as you can.) Then spread vegetable mixture over the eggplant layer. Cover with another layer of eggplant, more sauce, then the spinach. Peel and slice the Sweet potatoes and dart them over the spinach. Cover with another layer of eggplant, then sauce, then the dairy-free cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees then reduce oven temp to 350. Bake for another hour. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.